After almost a year of fertility treatment I finally got pregnant in March 2001. During my first sonogram, I was told that I was carrying twins, which is what my husband and I were hoping for. Because of the fertility treatment and my size (5ft tall and 120 lbs), they watched me very close. I had sonogram after sonogram only to find out that one twin had stopped developing and I might start bleeding because my body would have to dispose of the placenta naturally.

Although upset that I lost one, I was still very grateful to be pregnant with the other! At 6 weeks gestation I started bleeding. I was not too worried because I expected that. On June 6, 2001, I went to the doctor for an examination and was told that the baby looked great, you could see arms and legs, eyes and nose, everything was perfect except my uterus was very large. After a long exam, I was sent straight over to a specialist for another opinion of the enlarged uterus. That’s when we got the news that I will never forget. The placenta of the nonviable twin looked like a cluster of grapes and was very large. I was diagnosed with a molar pregnancy and had to have surgery immediately to remove the tumor.

Unfortunately, there was no way to remove the tumor and leave the healthy twin in place, and I couldn’t wait a few more months until the baby was large enough to live outside of me either. I had no other choice but to terminate the pregnancy. The day of surgery my hcg level was 1.6 MILLION and my thyroxin level was 25. I was a very high risk patient at that time. During surgery, I lost 500 cc of blood and my tumor was the size of a cantaloupe. After a day and half in the hospital, I was released to go home to begin the waiting game. My levels were dropping slowly but surely, although they had a long way go. I tried to keep a very positive attitude until July, when my levels were on the rise. I went straight to on OB/GYN oncologist and started chemo that very day. I had 35 treatments of chemo, 5 days a week for 7 weeks. I alternated each week between two medications and finished chemo on September 29, 2001. One of the best days of my life!

It was at that time the waiting game began all over again. As of September of 2002 I was clean and clear, ready to get pregnant again. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant again with no success and have another appointment to start fertility treatment in March. I am very nervous about doing this again, but my love for children outweighs the potential for another molar pregnancy. I hope that I am able to feel the joy in my heart that a great pregnancy will bring and wish you the same.

I am very grateful and blessed to say that our family has grown by three! I delivered healthy triplets (two boys, one girl) on October 30, 2003. At birth, Blake and Grant weighed 3 lb 15 oz, and Chloe weighed 2 lb 13 oz. Grant is now 13 lb 8 oz, Blake is 12 lb 5 oz, and Chloe is 9 lb 6 oz.

Although my pregnancy with the triplets was extremely successful, it was not without fear. I had my first sonogram when I was 6 weeks pregnant, and I had three sacs and three placentas but only two heartbeats. This is what I feared the most when I found out I was pregnant again. However, I thank the Lord above for the miracles He gives us, because the next week the third heartbeat was there. I carried the triplets to 31 weeks and 3 days and had the most wonderful experience without complications. I would do all over again in a minute.

For those of you who are experiencing the pain and loss of a molar pregnancy, please be positive, have faith, and don’t give up.