Lori Y.

My boyfriend and I had been together for 5 years when we decided to get pregnant. At that point, everything in our life was basically perfect. I went off of the pill in October 2001 and tried each month after, until we found out the good news on January 14, 2002. I wasn’t feeling any strong feelings of pregnancy, just the normal painful breasts and slight nausea. My first appointment was my 13th week of pregnancy. That day, I started to spot a bit. The doctor did a routine check and said all was well, even though I complained about a foul discharge (which I later found out is a sure sign of a molar). I stopped bleeding a few days later, but for the next few weeks I would bleed off and on. I was told was to take it easy and put my feet up.

Finally, one night at work, I started to bleed very heavily and went to the emergency room. The doctor told me all was well—what a waste of time! My next OB/GYN appointment was a few days later, and I went in expecting the worst. I was 16 weeks by then, and the doctor was sure she would be able to hear the heartbeat on Doppler. Nothing. My ultrasound appointment was then pushed up from 20 weeks to the following day. I knew something was wrong. I wasn’t able to see screen, but the technician called in the radiologist, and I heard everything they said. The technician told me to call my doctor immediately. I called, but they didn’t have the results yet, so I waited. I finally got the phone call just as my boyfriend was walking in the door late that day: nonviable pregnancy.

Life was a whirlwind from there. I went to see the doctor first thing the next morning and was told it was a complete molar pregnancy. I had to get to the hospital right away for a chest x-ray, and I stayed the night in order to have the D&C the next morning. I was supposed to stay again the next night, but I went home. I went through the surgery fine. A week later I started to hemorrhage and pass huge clots and had to go to doctor’s office to have more tissue removed. They did it in the office with no pain relief, and it was awful. I was in agony for 2 days; my boyfriend and I thought I was going to die, but it ended as quick as it had started.

This was the first week in May, 2002. My levels were 96,000 before the D&C and went to under 4 by June 13, 2002. I was told I had a 6–12 month wait. I finally got the green light to try again on January 3, 2003. On January 7, I learned I was already 5 weeks pregnant. I am now 14 weeks and everything is fine. I’m very scared, but if it wasn’t for the girls on the molar support group here, I would be a mess. I also thank God for my wonderful boyfriend (soon to be hubby!) for being there for me through all the crap. If there is anything good to come out of what happened, it is our renewed strength in each other. It made us closer. Thank you all for reading my story.