Lisa K.

My name is Lisa and my husband’s name is Brian. I am 25, and Brian is 29. We got married in June of 1997 and decided that we would wait to have kids after being married for 5 years. In October 2000 I was diagnosed with endometriosis and advised that if we wanted to have kids we should start trying immediately. We tried for 6 months on our own, then I took 3 months of Clomid. Went followed with another 3 months on our own and then another 3 months of Clomid. No success. In January 2003, we decided that we didn’t want to do any more testing or fertility but rather that we would just adopt in a few years.

On February 28, 2003, we discovered we were pregnant with our first child. I called to set up my appointment with the doctor for about 4 weeks later. We decided that we would go ahead and tell everyone the news, but on the evening we decided to tell everyone I began to spot. I called the doctor after spotting for a couple of days, and he had us come in to see him. On that visit, he did a vaginal ultrasound and found that there was only a tiny sac and not fetus. He thought maybe that I wasn’t as far as along as I thought. My hcg levels at that time were 4800. He scheduled for me to come back in a week. In the meantime, I had another level check, and it was 18,000.

The Sunday before my appointment is when my nightmare really started. I took an afternoon nap, and when I woke up I went to the bathroom and was bleeding, not spotting. I called the 24-hour number, and they told me to come into the emergency room. Once in the ER they did lots of test. My hcg levels had gone up 47,000. An ultrasound confirmed that there was no fetus; from what the doctors could tell, I had had an ectopic pregnancy. They rushed me into surgery to remove the fetus from my tube. Once they were in, they discovered that it was not an ectopic, just a blighted ovum. They called Brian and asked his consent to do a D&C. After surgery, I was taken to a hospital room where I would spend the night.

The doctor came in the next day and stated that my hcg levels had dropped to 12,000 and that I could try again after two cycles. About 2 weeks after my surgery, my doctor called me at home. I knew first of all there must be something wrong, because he never calls, his nurse usually calls. I called back and received news that would change everything. He told me that the pathology report had come back and that I had had a complete molar pregnancy. We would have to wait 6 months to a year before trying again. I was at work when I got the call and was devastated. I continued my hcg level checks weekly, and they dropped pretty quickly. Within 4 weeks post D&C, my levels were below 5.

My doctor has said that we could start trying again in October. He has put me on birth control pills for four cycles. Brian and I have decided that after we finish with the birth control pills that we will try again.