My husband and I found out on March 12, 2012, that we were expecting again. We were so excited! We told everyone immediately, just like we did with my previous pregnancy (which I had had absolutely no problems with).

About 2 weeks later I had some very light spotting that stopped after about an hour. A week after that I had more spotting, and it was a little heavier this time. I waited to see if it would stop. The next morning it was still happening, so I called the doctor’s office. They told me to come in for some blood work. I went in right away and within 2 hours I got a call from the nurse who told me that my HCG levels looked good but my progesterone level was very low. They told me that I was going to have to go on progesterone pills. I started them immediately, and by the next day the spotting had stopped. They also told me that I should take it easy and I needed to be on pelvic rest.

My first doctor’s appointment was on April 20. I went in and the doctor did a pelvic exam and said everything was normal. He then checked for the heartbeat and immediately he detected that the heart rate was a strong 150! We felt so relieved that everything seemed good. He did say that my uterus felt a little bigger than it should be at that point so he wanted me to get an ultrasound to see if I was further along or to see if there was perhaps more than one baby. (We calculated that I was about 10 weeks along.) When we left we made an appointment for an ultrasound on April 27.

A week passed, and I was feeling extremely exhausted constantly and sick all the time. I never threw up, but I definitely could have. I was pretty miserable.

April 27 finally came. My husband and I were so excited to be able to see our baby! We got to the appointment at 7:00 am and went into the room. The technician began the u/s and kept the screen pointed at her. She was very quiet, and I remember I kept trying to look at the screen. A few minutes passed, and I just had a feeling that something was wrong because she wasn’t turning the screen toward me. She then said that there was no baby. My heart dropped. I can’t even explain how I felt at that moment. I told her that we had heard a heartbeat just a week ago, but she acted like I didn’t know what I was talking about. She then asked if we wanted to see what she was seeing. We said yes. Basically how she explained it was that the only thing she saw was my uterus full of blood and placenta. She then left the room to talk to the doctor, and I completely lost it. I’m so glad my husband was there, because I don’t know what I would have done. The next thing I knew we were in another room. All I could do was sob uncontrollably. It felt like forever before the doctor came in to talk to us. I couldn’t compose myself at all. He explained to us that I had had what they call a molar pregnancy and that I was going to have to have a D&C later that day. He asked if we had any questions, but the only thing going thru my head was that I had done something wrong. I don’t really remember much of anything that the doctor had said except that had to have an operation. He told us that we could go ahead and stay there for as long as we needed. He left the room to call the hospital and set up a time for the D&C. He came back and told us that it was going to be at 4:30 that afternoon and that he felt horrible because he was going out of town and wouldn’t be able to be there for me.

My husband and I composed ourselves enough to leave the doctor’s office. We then headed to see our families and tell them what was going on. It was such a horrible day at that point. It was so hard to grasp the fact that this was happening. We had to explain to our 10-year-old son what was going on, and of course our 1-year-old daughter couldn’t understand. She must have known something was wrong, though, because she was giving me such good hugs!

We had to get to the hospital around 3:00 that afternoon. I got all checked in and prepped for surgery. The doctor doing the D&C explained that it would be a quick procedure and that I would be able to go home after I woke up and they were sure I was okay. The procedure didn’t begin until about 5:00. I remember going into the operating room and just losing it. I started crying a lot, but they calmed me down a little. I remember the mask going over my face and that was it…

The next thing I knew I was waking up, and something wasn’t right. I was shaking uncontrollably and I had doctors and nurses all around me. I had all these wires connected to me and I was freezing cold. All I could do was cry and ask for my husband. One of the nurses left to get my husband and another nurse was trying to calm me down, but I knew something was wrong because of all the commotion going on around me. My husband was finally by my side and trying to calm me down. After what seemed like forever I was told that I had lost more than half the blood in my body and that I was having blood transfusions. They had to put a weird-looking bubble-type heated blanket on me, and I had to have oxygen. There were lots of IV lines hooked to me. I couldn’t believe that on top of having a molar pregnancy, I had nearly lost my life in a procedure that was supposed to have been a quick in and out thing! I would have to be in the ICU until they knew that I was okay.

It was such a long night. My heart rate was very high, and every time I would move even just a little bit it would shoot up into the 150s. By morning they found out that my thyroid was messed up and that that was the reason my heart rate was as high as it was. They started me on Lopressor and that seemed to help somewhat, but my rate was still a little high.

On Saturday morning, April 28, I was still in the ICU. They had me get an ultrasound of my heart to make sure that there weren’t any abnormalities. By about noon that day they finally took out the catheter and I got to sit up and try to get out of bed. I moved from my bed to a chair. Within a couple hours I got moved out of the ICU to a regular recovery room. I was still extremely weak, but it felt great to be able to sit up and move around a little bit. That the doctor who did my procedure told me that I was going to have to go have a chest X-Ray and a CT-scan of my brain. They do this when people have had a molar pregnancy to make sure the cells haven’t moved into other areas of the body. If the cells had moved to other parts of the body there was a good chance that I would have to have chemotherapy because it could be cancerous. I kept my head up and stayed strong because I just knew that the tests would come back normal—and I was right. The next morning I was told that the tests came back normal.

On Sunday, April 29, I was told that I’d be able to go home. I was so excited to go home and to be able to relax in my own bed. I was so ready to get out of that hospital. It had been such a long few days. It all felt like a bad dream to me.

Here’s a list of my HCG levels from just before my D&C until the time they dropped to where they are supposed to be:








My doctor told me that once my levels were back down to give it 3 months and we could start trying again. We decided not to wait (naughty, I know), and we started trying 1 month later. It has been almost 6 months and still we can’t seem to get pregnant. We’ve tried very hard every month and no luck. I’ve never had to try more than 1 month to get pregnant. I have a feeling that I may have scar tissue or something happened during my D&C that is preventing me from becoming pregnant.

I have a doctor’s appointment for January 8, 2013. I hope we will find out that nothing is wrong and that it’s just taking longer. If something is wrong, I hope that it will be a quick and easy fix.