When I was 19 years old I became pregnant for the first time. I was not married, but was very much in love with my USN sailor, Dave. We found out I was pregnant in May of 1989. Being young, away from home, and not married, I was scared but excited at the same time.

By July 1989 I was very sick. I remember not being able to keep any food down at all. I was losing weight rapidly. I went to the emergency room at DePaul Medical Center in Norfolk, Virginia with vaginal bleeding and abnormal cramping. I was 9 1/2 weeks pregnant by then. I was referred to the GYN clinic. The clinic drew two beta HCGs, one of which came back at 841,000 and the other at 1,240,000. After 72 hours and with these high numbers and a real-time ultrasound that showed copious amounts of placenta but no fetus, the diagnosis of molar pregnancy was made and I was admitted to the hospital for a D&C and suction evacuation. My uterus size was at 18 weeks when they did the surgery.

After the surgery I decided to move back home to Michigan. I was seen at the University of Michigan. My HCG level went down very slowly. I had to have it taken every few days. I remember at one point a doctor suggested a hysterectomy, but my stepmom said no. I think it was in November when I was told that I would have to start chemotherapy. My HCG level was down to 6.3 but still needed to reach 0. It was not dropping as they thought it should. I told my doctor that if that was the case I wanted to be treated back in Norfolk, because by that time Dave had asked me to marry him. My doctor agreed and contacted the doctors that had originally diagnosed me. I moved to Virginia at 19, ready to start chemo; the doctors at U of M had told me that if I did not start the chemo I could die, so I fully understood what needed to be done.

Once back in Norfolk, my doctors told me that they wanted to wait and give me more time. I was not happy with this decision. I remember yelling at the doctors telling them that “I DID NOT WANT TO DIE” and to please just start the chemo. My doctors stood their ground and did not start the chemo. I was so scared.

I was married on November 22, 1989 with a HCG level of 3.4. By November 27 it was down to 2.6. My grandmother said it was a blessing from God that I moved back to Virginia. Had I stayed in Michigan they would have pumped me full of chemo that I did not need. All I needed was TIME.

My blood level did go back up to 5.0 a few times. But it would drop back down to 2.0. I continued to have my HCG level checked, along with chest x-rays every year for the first 5 years. I had another miscarriage in 1993, and I was starting to worry that I would not ever be able to have a baby. But in March of 1995 I got pregnant again. The third time was the charm. I had a baby girl. She was perfect! Her name is Kelsey, and at the time I am writing this she is 6 1/2 years old. Dave and I have been married for 13 years now. He is still in the USN and we are living in Virginia.

I hear lots of people who say they have had a miscarriage, but I have never met any one who had a molar pregnancy. Lots of women at work ask me about it and that is what brought me to this website. I decided after 13 years that I would look for others who have had this experience. I found God through this experience, along with the passion to live. I love my life, my family and I am so thankful for the care that I was given during my molar pregnancy. I hope that anyone who reads this and is going through what I went through can find peace and the courage to stay strong. Never give up! God bless and good health